Pregnancy Injury Lawyer in St. Louis and Southern Illinois
St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review | St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers.
Birth Injury Lawyers in St. Louis. We trust doctors, nurses and medical institutions to give us quality care, especially when welcoming a new life into this world. You should be focusing on nurturing your child and bonding with them, but sometimes medical errors disrupt our lives and you're left with an uncertain future and medical expenses you're not sure how you're going to pay for. The birth injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are proud to serve the families of St. Louis and Southern Illinois by helping protect their futures and secure them the maximum compensation they need to move forward. Call the St. Louis birth injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free case review. You don't owe us anything unless we win your case.
Injuries to the Mother During Birth | St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers
Some of the most common injuries to the mother our birth injury lawyers see in St. Louis and Southern Illinois are:
- Undiagnosed Preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is a type of high blood pressure some women get after the 20th week of pregnancy. When undiagnosed it can lead to eclampsia, a condition that leads to the mother having seizures of even a stroke during delivery.
- Undiagnosed Gestational Diabetes. Pregnancy hormones can block the release of insulin, resulting in diabetes for pregnant women who did not already have it. If untreated, it can result in eclampsia, which can cause permanent organ damage, internal bleeding and other serious, long-term complications.
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. For a woman who has already had a C-section, it may or may not be advisable to have another one or attempt a vaginal birth if she becomes pregnant again. The wrong decision can lead to uterine rupture, scarring, excessive blood loss or other complications. A competent and skilled doctor should review your medical records and determine what risk factors you may have.
- Anesthesiology and Epidural Errors. Anesthesiologists need to properly monitor you and properly administer anesthesia during delivery. Failure to do so could result in injury.
- Infections. Minor illnesses and infections are common during pregnancy. But when left untreated, those infections can become dangerous to both the mother and the baby.
- C-Section Mistakes. During C-sections, a doctor may accidentally make a wrong incision, shift the baby in a way that injures the mother, improperly close the wound or even leave surgical tools such as sponges inside the mother. Any C-section mistake can cause excessive bleeding, damage to other organs, infection or illness for the mother.
- Other birth injuries to the mother can include:
- Nerve injuries
- Vaginal tears
- Broken bones
- Prolapsed uterus
- Ruptured uterus
Not every birth injury to the mother results in a medical malpractice claim. Some common causes of birth injuries, like an abnormally large baby, can cause injuries that are no one's fault. However, when you receive an injury because of a St. Louis or Southern Illinois doctor's, nurse's or medical institution's negligence, the St. Louis birth injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will make sure they are held accountable and you receive the full financial compensation you deserve.
Birth Injuries to the Child | St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers
While being injured because of a St. Louis or Southern Illinois medical professional's negligence can be infuriating, nothing could be worse than when they injure your child. Some of the common birth injuries to children our birth injury lawyers have seen are:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries and Erb’s palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Bruising, lacerations, soft tissue injuries or fractures
If your child was injured because a doctor or nurse in St. Louis or Southern Illinois did not give you and your family the care you deserved, call the birth injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote to get the justice and full financial recovery you deserve.
Standard of Care | St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers
Medical malpractice cases, such as birth injury claims, hinge on what is called the standard of care. The medical standard of care is the level and type of care that a reasonably competent and skilled doctor in St. Louis or Southern Illinois in the same field would have given you. Our birth injury lawyers can help you understand if you were given a substandard level of care.
As opposed to other doctrines in personal injury law, such as negligence or duty of care, the medical standard of care is not decided based on states' legal definitions or legal precedent. The standard of care is defined by doctors and medical experts within the same medical field and community, and is established in individual cases based on their testimony. That means the standard of care may be different in St. Louis, MO than it is in Lebanon, IL. The birth injury lawyers of HK Law will consult with doctors and experts in your community to establish a standard of care and prove that a doctor, nurse or hospital violated it.
In order to prove negligence and a breach of the standard of care, your St. Louis birth injury lawyers must:
- Prove that a doctor-patient relationship existed. This is the first step in medical malpractice cases, and is usually quite easy as there will be records of your doctors visits. It is essential because recognizing the doctor-patient relationship establishes that you were owed a duty of care.
- Consult with experts to determine that there was a breach of the standard of care. Both Missouri Revised Statute §538.225 and 735 ILCS 5/13-212 require medical malpractice claims to be filed with an affidavit written by a doctor or nurse stating that proper care protocols were not followed. This could include a missed diagnosis, not running appropriate tests, improper birthing techniques, not performing a C-section when they should have or a botched C-section. Your Halvorsen Klote St. Louis birth injury lawyers will work with them so they can understand your claim and testify on your behalf.
- Prove the breach of care resulted in your injuries. The hardest part to prove in medical malpractice and birth injury cases is that the breach of care directly caused your injuries. If you suffer nerve damage that would have happened if the doctor was negligent or not, you do not have a case, even if the doctor was negligent.
The St. Louis birth injury lawyers of Halvorsen Klote know how to investigate cases, prove negligence and get great results for our clients in the greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. We will help protect your future. We focus on the legal aspect of your case so you and your child can focus on recovering.
Other cases our St. Louis birth injury lawyers take on are:
Call HK Law Today
St. Louis Birth Injury Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You and your family in St. Louis or Southern Illinois should not have to pay when a medical professional gives you substandard care. Halvorsen Klote's birth injury lawyers take a client-centered approach and offer personalized attention and legal representation. We pride ourselves in giving the same high-quality legal representation to St. Louis and Southern Illinois individuals and families that doctors, large hospitals and insurance companies have. We only get paid if we win your case. Talking to us is free, so there's no risk in calling us to discuss your options. Call Halvorsen Klote birth injury lawyers today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free consultation.