Slip and Fall Lawyer St. Louis, MO
St. Louis, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer St. Louis, MO. If you were injured in a slip and fall incident because someone did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an experienced and skilled St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have recovered millions of dollars in damages for our St. Louis, MO clients. Proprietors have a responsibility to make sure their property is safe for patrons and customers, and when they fail in that obligation they are responsible for paying you financial compensation. If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, call your St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall injuries account for about 1 million visits per year. While it is often difficult to know who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how proceed with collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the complex legal process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot get you a fair settlement in negotiation we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you collect compensation for. How much compensation you receive will be based on the severity of your injury and the consequences it has for other aspects of your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall cases are:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how severe they are will affect your financial recovery. An injury to the nervous system may leave you disabled for the rest of your life, while a sprained ankle might only need a quick visit to a St. Louis, MO emergency room and a week off work. Whatever the the extent of the effect your injury had on your life, your St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make sure that you are awarded a full recovery. You deserve to be compensated for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in St. Louis, MO Can Do For Your Claim
No one expects to suddenly become injured. A knowledgeable St. Louis, MO personal injury lawyer like ours will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the maximum compensation you are owed. When you hire us, we will:
- Perform an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, including obtaining security footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove liability
- Listen to what you have to say, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Take care of all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to devalue your claim
- Have an open line of communication with you, and offer you sound legal counsel while allowing you to make what you feel is the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate on your behalf for a full financial recovery
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury if we cannot secure fair compensation in a settlement
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want the liable party to be fair, or your injuries are debilitating and you need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In St. Louis, MO, the relevant law is called "Premises Liability." People who are in control of properties have a responsibility to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a hazardous condition, they must warn you of it and do what they can to repair it. If you sustain a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner neglected to either repair or warn of, you can file a claim for to get compensation. Proving negligence is a touch task, and necessitates the knowledge of an accomplished St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer.
St. Louis, MO has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some legal responsibility their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of recovery you collect will be considerably lowered. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is essential to have a talented St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help minimize the percentage of fault placed on you for your injury. To place as much of the liability for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will frequently try to say that:
- You should have noticed the dangerous condition
- You were distracted, for example you were looking at your phone
- You were on a part of the property that is off-limits to visitors
- Reasonable steps were taken to keep you safe, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were utilizing inappropriate or dangerous footwear
St. Louis, MO insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an expert Halvorsen Klote St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer will help win the full compensation that you are owed.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the leading cause of workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation claim and possible third party negligence claims.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Louis, MO?
There are countless different property conditions that can cause someone to fall and become injured. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Wet surfaces, for example if something was spilled or a recently mopped floor
- Broken buildings, for example broken handrails or loose floorboards
- Poorly designed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Loose cords
Halvorsen Klote has over a decade of experience investigating claims and proving how a property owner or manager was negligent. If you were injured because of an unsafe property condition, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in St. Louis, MO?
The value of your claim depends many different factors, including the financial losses you suffered because of the accident, how your injuries affected your emotionally and physically and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. Your financial recovery for any injury claim typically is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you have sustained because of your injuries. They include:
- Medical expenses — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Physical therapy or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you lost any wages while you were recovering from your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if your employer provides sick leave. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you are entitled to a recovery for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. Examples can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or needing to hire a nanny to care for your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every dime you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Generally, slip and fall lawyers look for compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing guitar and had to wear a cast on your arm for four months, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. Typically, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. So if your economic damages total $20,000, and a trier of act decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 payout.
To prove non-economic damages, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide range of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see more about the services we offer.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your St. Louis, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are injured as a result of somebody else's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, especially when the responsible party does not want to pay you the recovery you are owed. An HK Law St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to get out of paying you just compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in St. Louis, MO if we ever have to take your case to trial. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.