Injury Claim Lawyer St. Louis
St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer
Injury Claim Lawyer in St. Louis. Injuries can happen to anyone almost anytime, creating sudden and severe financial, physical and emotional hardships. It can be infuriating when injuries result from someone else's negligence. Missouri and Illinois law provide an outlet for injured victims to receive compensation for their injuries in the form of personal injury claims. In most cases, you'll need the help of an injury claim lawyer in St. Louis to get the most value for your claim. At Halvorsen Klote, we have dedicated our careers to getting clients in the greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois maximum compensation, and providing them with the same high standard of legal representation as large insurance companies. If you were injured through no fault of your own, call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Common Causes of Personal Injury Claims | St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer
Personal injury claims refer to legal claims seeking restitution for injuries caused by someone else's negligent, reckless, or intentional actions. While each accident and each injury claim is different, most cases fall into one of several common categories. Some of the most common cases our injury claim lawyer team takes on in St. Louis are:
- Auto crashes, such as
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
Whatever the cause of your injuries, your Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in St. Louis has seen it before. If you've been injured because of somebody else's negligence, reach out to us right away to get started on your claim.
Determining If You Have an Injury Claim | St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer
Not all injuries and accidents are cause for an injury or accident claim; you must demonstrate that someone else is liable for your damages. In order for your injury claim lawyer to win your case, they must prove the five elements of negligence:
- Duty of Care: Establishing a duty of care is the first step in a personal injury claim. You must show that the defendant had a responsibility for your safety. This is automatic in auto accident claims, as both Missouri and Illinois have established that drivers owe others a duty of care. Other relationships, such as between a doctor and patient or a property owner and patron, have defined duties of care.
- Breach of Duty: Next, you have to show that the person who owed you a duty of care did not act as a reasonable person would or as the law dictates.
- Cause in Fact: The third step is showing that were it not for the defendant's actions or inactions, you would not have been injured. So, if a driver had not run a red light, or if a restaurant manager had put a "wet floor" sign up, you would not have been injured.
- Proximate Cause: This relates to the defendant's responsibility for the cause in fact. If a driver ran a red light because their breaks malfunctioned, then the duty of care may have been breached by a manufacturer or mechanic, not by the driver.
- Damages: The final aspect of negligence is that you suffered damages. In a personal injury claim, that means you were injured. If you're in a slip and fall and only suffer a minor bruise that goes away after a couple days, you likely do not have a claim because you did not receive any real injury.
Every St. Louis injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to take on, prove, and win every type of personal injury claim. If you're unsure if you have a claim, it's best to consult with an injury claim lawyer right away. Our consultation is free, so there's no risk in calling us to discuss your claim.
Frequently Asked Questions | St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer
Most of our St. Louis and Southern Illinois clients have never had to make an injury claim before and are uncertain about the process and how it works. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions our injury claim lawyer team receives:
How Much Is My Injury Claim Worth?
That depends on the specifics of your case, the severity of your injuries and the skill of your St. Louis injury claim lawyer. We can help you recover compensation for:
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
- Wage loss from time spent recovering
- Reduced earning capacity if your injuries result in disability
- Medical expenses, such as:
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches or wheelchairs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Your St. Louis injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote knows how to properly value claims and get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
There are some exceptions in each state, but it is paramount to reach out to an injury claim lawyer in St. Louis and Southern Illinois immediately after an injury to avoid bringing complications to your case.
What Is The Burden of Proof in Personal Injury Claims?
We've all heard the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt." That's the burden of proof that juries and judges are held to in criminal cases to protect innocent people from jail. Personal injury claims are civil cases, and the burden of proof is called a preponderance of the evidence. That means that a jury or insurance adjuster must only find that the claim is more likely than not to be true.
That means that if a drunk driver gets out of their criminal case because of errors in police work, you can still hold them accountable in a civil case.
If your injury claim lawyer is helping you seek punitive damages, you must show clear and convincing evidence, which is a higher standard than preponderance of the evidence but lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.
How Long Does an Injury Claim Take?
Again, that depends on the specifics of your case. The Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that 96 percent of tort claims are settled out of court. A settlement may only take a few months, while a case that goes to trial in St. Louis can take up to two years. If your injuries do not result in permanent disability, your injury claim lawyer may advise waiting until you've reached maximum medical improvement so you can be compensated for your full medical expenses.
What's the Timeline for a Personal Injury Case?
Typically, after you've been injured by somebody else's negligence in St. Louis, the order of events is as follows:
- You get medical treatment (and continue it as long as necessary).
- You consult with an injury claim lawyer.
- The lawyer investigates your case and gathers evidence, such as police reports and medical records.
- Your injury claim lawyer makes a settlement demand letter.
- If the settlement demand is not met, your injury claim lawyer may choose to negotiate or may go directly to filing a lawsuit.
- Your lawyer enters the discovery phase, where they gather evidence and collect expert opinions.
- Your injury claim lawyer and the insurance company negotiate in front of a neutral party in mediation.
- We take your case to trial if negotiations do not yield a fair settlement offer.
Can I Still Receive Compensation if I Was Partially at Fault?
Yes. Missouri is a "pure comparative negligence" state, which means your compensation will be deducted by the percent of fault you share. So if a jury awards you $100,000 but finds you were 30 percent at fault, you will only receive $70,000. Illinois is similar, but is a "modified comparative negligence" state, which means you will not receive compensation if you are over 50 percent to blame.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire an Injury Claim Lawyer? | St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer
You may be nervous about hiring a St. Louis lawyer to help with your injury claim because you're already paying for medical expenses and might not be able to work at the moment because of your injuries. The great thing about hiring an injury claim lawyer at Halvorsen Klote is, as opposed to criminal defense lawyers or corporate lawyers in St. Louis, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means three things:
- We charge no upfront fees. Instead of getting an hourly amount, we take a percentage of the compensation you are awarded — only after we win or settle your case.
- You owe us nothing if we do not win your case. A Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer only gets paid by using their knowledge, expertise and hard work to reach a successful resolution in your case.
- We won't take on your case unless we genuinely believe we can add substantially more value to your claim. We assume the risk of using our resources to win your case, and we won't make promises we can't keep or mislead you.
Whatever your current financial situation may be, a St. Louis injury claim lawyer of Halvorsen Klote will take on your case and fight with all of our resources to see you get the great results you deserve.
Call HK Law Today
St. Louis Injury Claim Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote
You shouldn't have to pay because someone else was negligent and injured you. When you hire a Halvorsen Klote injury claim lawyer in St. Louis, we get started on your case immediately and keep you informed throughout the entire process. We give you all the information you need to make the best decision for you and your St. Louis family. Call a St. Louis injury claim lawyer today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.