Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis
St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Louis Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis. Bike accidents can be terrifying and life-changing. Whether you're a seasoned St. Louis cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike wreck can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right St. Louis bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges and legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews and testimonials from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyer
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights and ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of experienced bike wreck lawyers in St. Louis has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your St. Louis bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Louis can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our St. Louis firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to our clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Louis?
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St. Louis, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring an experienced St. Louis bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike wreck is a stressful and surprising event. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in St. Louis, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company or take legal action. Police are trained to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate or hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal representation you deserve and need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Louis bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. However, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a St. Louis Bike Wreck Lawyer Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in St. Louis. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.