Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Glen Carbon, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL. Bicycle accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Glen Carbon, IL cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bicycle accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Glen Carbon, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and get the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Glen Carbon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Glen Carbon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of talented Glen Carbon, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Glen Carbon, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Glen Carbon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Glen Carbon, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Glen Carbon, IL. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Glen Carbon, IL?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Glen Carbon, IL, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Glen Carbon, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their negligent actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle accident is a stressful and surprising occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike crash in Glen Carbon, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a physician within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine blame in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw your accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Glen Carbon, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more serious injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Glen Carbon, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Glen Carbon, IL. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.