Bike Wreck Lawyer in Farmington, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Farmington, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Farmington, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Farmington, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bicycle crashes can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Farmington, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Farmington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Farmington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Farmington, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Farmington, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Farmington, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Farmington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Farmington, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Farmington, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Farmington, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Farmington, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Farmington, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Farmington, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their negligent actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike crash is a difficult and surprising occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Farmington, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of any witnesses to the wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Farmington, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Farmington, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash caused more significant injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Farmington, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be lowered relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Farmington, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Farmington, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.