Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hallsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hallsville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Hallsville, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're an experienced Hallsville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Hallsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Hallsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Hallsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from previous clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers usually work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hallsville, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Hallsville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Hallsville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Hallsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Hallsville, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Hallsville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Hallsville, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Hallsville, MO?
Bike wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Hallsville, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Hallsville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle accident is a stressful and surprising experience. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash in Hallsville, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Hallsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Hallsville, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more significant injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Hallsville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hallsville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Hallsville, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.