Bike Wreck Lawyer in Macon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Macon, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Macon, MO. Bike crashes are scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a consistent Macon, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Macon, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should be able to have the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Macon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the United States, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Macon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Macon, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Macon, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike wreck cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Macon, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Macon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Macon, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Macon, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Macon, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Macon, MO?
Bike accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Macon, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a skilled Macon, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their negligent behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle accident is a difficult and surprising event. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bike crash in Macon, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Macon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Macon, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck caused more significant injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Macon, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Macon, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Macon, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.