Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakland, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Oakland, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Oakland, MO. Bike crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Oakland, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Oakland, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and get the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Oakland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips nationwide, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Oakland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers usually work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakland, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of talented Oakland, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Oakland, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Oakland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Oakland, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Oakland, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Oakland, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Oakland, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Oakland, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Oakland, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their negligent actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle accident is a stressful and surprising occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Oakland, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Oakland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Oakland, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Oakland, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakland, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Oakland, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.