Bike Wreck Lawyer in Jefferson City, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Jefferson City, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Jefferson City, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Jefferson City, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Jefferson City, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and secure the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Jefferson City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Jefferson City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Jefferson City, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of skilled Jefferson City, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Jefferson City, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Jefferson City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Jefferson City, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Jefferson City, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Jefferson City, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Jefferson City, MO?
Bike wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Jefferson City, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a skilled Jefferson City, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike accident is a difficult and surprising occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle crash in Jefferson City, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the costlier your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Jefferson City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Jefferson City, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more serious injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Jefferson City, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Jefferson City, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Jefferson City, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.