Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ste Genevieve, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be scary and devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Ste Genevieve, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bicycle crashes can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Ste Genevieve, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that the average person should be able to have the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Ste Genevieve, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Ste Genevieve, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Ste Genevieve, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Ste Genevieve, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Ste Genevieve, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Ste Genevieve, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Ste Genevieve, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Ste Genevieve, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Ste Genevieve, MO?
Bike accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Ste Genevieve, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Ste Genevieve, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a stressful and unexpected experience. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle wreck in Ste Genevieve, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ste Genevieve, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident caused more serious injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Ste Genevieve, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ste Genevieve, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Ste Genevieve, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.