Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hazelwood, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Hazelwood, MO. Bike crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Hazelwood, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the outcome of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and receive the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Hazelwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips nationwide, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Hazelwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hazelwood, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of skilled Hazelwood, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Hazelwood, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Hazelwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Hazelwood, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Hazelwood, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Hazelwood, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Hazelwood, MO?
Bike crashes occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Hazelwood, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Hazelwood, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike crash is a difficult and unexpected occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Hazelwood, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. In addition, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Hazelwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Hazelwood, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident caused more significant injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Hazelwood, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hazelwood, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Hazelwood, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.