Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Rock Hill, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Rock Hill, MO. Bike accidents can be terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're an experienced Rock Hill, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Rock Hill, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and get the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Rock Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Rock Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Rock Hill, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the expertise and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Rock Hill, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Rock Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Rock Hill, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Rock Hill, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Rock Hill, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Rock Hill, MO?
Bike wrecks happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Rock Hill, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Rock Hill, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike crash is a trying and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Rock Hill, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rock Hill, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Rock Hill, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that require a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Rock Hill, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Rock Hill, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.