Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Kirkwood, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Kirkwood, MO. Bike accidents can be horrifying and life-shattering. Whether you're a consistent Kirkwood, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Kirkwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Kirkwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Kirkwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want an attorney who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Kirkwood, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck cases. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Kirkwood, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Kirkwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Kirkwood, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Kirkwood, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Kirkwood, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Kirkwood, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, broken pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Kirkwood, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Kirkwood, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their negligent actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a stressful and unexpected occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Kirkwood, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kirkwood, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Kirkwood, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Kirkwood, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Kirkwood, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.