Bike Wreck Lawyer in Versailles, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Versailles, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Versailles, MO. Bike accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Versailles, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bike crashes can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Versailles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Versailles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Versailles, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Versailles, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Versailles, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Versailles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Versailles, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Versailles, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Versailles, MO. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Versailles, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Versailles, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Versailles, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle crash is a trying and surprising event. However, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Versailles, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a physician within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Versailles, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Versailles, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more severe injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Versailles, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Versailles, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Versailles, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.