Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bowling Green, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bowling Green, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Bowling Green, MO. Bike crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Bowling Green, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Bowling Green, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Bowling Green, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips nationwide, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Bowling Green, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bowling Green, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Bowling Green, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Bowling Green, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Bowling Green, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Bowling Green, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Bowling Green, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Bowling Green, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Bowling Green, MO?
Bike crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, broken pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be the result of mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Bowling Green, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Bowling Green, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike accident is a stressful and unexpected event. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Bowling Green, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. In addition, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine fault in accidents, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw your wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Bowling Green, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Bowling Green, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the accident caused more serious injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Bowling Green, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bowling Green, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Bowling Green, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.