Bike Wreck Lawyer in Nixa, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Nixa, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Nixa, MO. Bicycle crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Nixa, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the outcome of a bike accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Nixa, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Nixa, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Nixa, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from previous clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Nixa, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of experienced Nixa, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Nixa, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Nixa, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Nixa, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Nixa, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Nixa, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Nixa, MO?
Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Nixa, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Nixa, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle crash is a trying and unanticipated event. However, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Nixa, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Nixa, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Nixa, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Nixa, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be decreased based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Nixa, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Nixa, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.