Bike Wreck Lawyer in Winfield, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Winfield, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Winfield, MO. Bicycle crashes are scary and life-altering. Whether you're an experienced Winfield, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Winfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and secure the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Winfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Winfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Winfield, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of talented Winfield, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the expertise and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Winfield, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Winfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Winfield, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Winfield, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Winfield, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Winfield, MO?
Bike accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Winfield, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Winfield, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike wreck is a difficult and surprising occurrence. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike wreck in Winfield, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the wreck, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Winfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Winfield, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the crash caused more significant injuries that require a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Winfield, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Winfield, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Winfield, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.