Bike Wreck Lawyer in Litchfield, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Litchfield, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Litchfield, IL. Bicycle crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Litchfield, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike crashes can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Litchfield, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Litchfield, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up only one percent of trips across the country, they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Litchfield, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Litchfield, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Litchfield, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Litchfield, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Litchfield, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Litchfield, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll go over your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Litchfield, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Litchfield, IL. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Litchfield, IL?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Litchfield, IL, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a knowledgeable Litchfield, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their careless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unexpected occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle wreck in Litchfield, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Litchfield, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Litchfield, IL, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, we can close the case within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Litchfield, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Litchfield, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Litchfield, IL. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.