Bike Wreck Lawyer in Marlborough, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Marlborough, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Marlborough, MO. Bike crashes can be horrifying and life-altering. Whether you're a seasoned Marlborough, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Marlborough, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated injury claims process and get the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Marlborough, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Marlborough, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Marlborough, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of talented Marlborough, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Marlborough, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Marlborough, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Marlborough, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll go over your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Marlborough, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Marlborough, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Marlborough, MO?
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Marlborough, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Marlborough, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unanticipated event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Marlborough, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to your crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Marlborough, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Marlborough, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash caused more serious injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Marlborough, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Marlborough, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Marlborough, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.