Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wellsville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wellsville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Wellsville, MO. Bike accidents are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Wellsville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bicycle wrecks can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Wellsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complicated legal system and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Wellsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Wellsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wellsville, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Wellsville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident claims. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Wellsville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Wellsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Wellsville, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Wellsville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Wellsville, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Wellsville, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be the result of mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly in the dark, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Wellsville, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Wellsville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bike crash is a trying and surprising experience. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle wreck in Wellsville, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to be seen by a healthcare provider in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to assign liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure you get the compensation you deserve. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Wellsville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Wellsville, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Wellsville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are entitled to may be reduced relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Wellsville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Wellsville, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.