Bike Wreck Lawyer in Centralia, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Centralia, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Centralia, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be scary and devastating. Whether you're a consistent Centralia, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Centralia, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Centralia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Centralia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Centralia, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable Centralia, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike wreck cases. We have the experience and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Centralia, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Centralia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Centralia, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Centralia, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Centralia, MO clients. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Centralia, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Centralia, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Centralia, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle wreck is a trying and unanticipated experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Centralia, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Centralia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Centralia, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash caused more significant injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Centralia, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Centralia, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Centralia, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.