Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rolla, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Rolla, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Rolla, MO. Bicycle crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Rolla, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Rolla, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Rolla, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Rolla, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rolla, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Rolla, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Rolla, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Rolla, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Rolla, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Rolla, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Rolla, MO clients. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Rolla, MO?
Bike crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Rolla, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Rolla, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike accident is a difficult and unexpected event. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in Rolla, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Rolla, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Rolla, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that need ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Rolla, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Rolla, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Rolla, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.