Bike Wreck Lawyer in Webster Groves, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Webster Groves, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Webster Groves, MO. Bicycle accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Webster Groves, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the aftermath of a bike crashes can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Webster Groves, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Webster Groves, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Webster Groves, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys usually accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Webster Groves, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Webster Groves, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Webster Groves, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Webster Groves, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Webster Groves, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Webster Groves, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Webster Groves, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Webster Groves, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be caused by mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially at night, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Webster Groves, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Webster Groves, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike accident is a stressful and unanticipated event. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Webster Groves, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. In addition, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Webster Groves, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Webster Groves, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Webster Groves, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Webster Groves, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Webster Groves, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.