Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ashland, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ashland, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Ashland, MO. Bicycle wrecks are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a veteran Ashland, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Ashland, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex legal system and get the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Ashland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips account just one percent of trips in the United States, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Ashland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ashland, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of experienced Ashland, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the knowledge and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Ashland, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our Ashland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Ashland, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your case with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Ashland, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Ashland, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Ashland, MO?
Bike crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Ashland, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Ashland, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their reckless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unexpected experience. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Ashland, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the higher your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ashland, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Ashland, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident caused more severe injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Ashland, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Ashland, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Ashland, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.