Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sullivan, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Sullivan, MO. Bike crashes can be horrifying and life-changing. Whether you're an experienced Sullivan, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Sullivan, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips in the United States, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Sullivan, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sullivan, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Sullivan, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike wreck claims. We have the experience and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Sullivan, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Sullivan, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Sullivan, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Sullivan, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Sullivan, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Sullivan, MO?
Bicycle accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Sullivan, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Sullivan, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unanticipated event. But, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Sullivan, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the costlier your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the compensation you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Sullivan, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Sullivan, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we collect a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Sullivan, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Sullivan, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Sullivan, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.