Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eldon, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Eldon, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Eldon, MO. Bike crashes are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Eldon, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Eldon, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to have the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Eldon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Eldon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a number of key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eldon, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Eldon, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike wreck cases. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Eldon, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Eldon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Eldon, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Eldon, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Eldon, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Eldon, MO?
Bike crashes happen for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Eldon, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Eldon, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unanticipated experience. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Eldon, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine blame in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Eldon, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Eldon, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident caused more significant injuries that require ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Eldon, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Eldon, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Eldon, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.