Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Troy, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Troy, MO. Bicycle crashes can be terrifying and life-changing. Whether you're a veteran Troy, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Troy, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Troy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Troy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our team of experienced Troy, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Troy, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Troy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Troy, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Troy, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Troy, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Troy, MO?
Bicycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash and environmental debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Troy, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Troy, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle crash is a trying and unexpected occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bike accident in Troy, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with a lawyer.
FAQs About Troy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Troy, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident caused more significant injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Troy, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Troy, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Troy, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.