Bike Wreck Lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Dardenne Prairie, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO. Bike crashes can be horrifying and life-changing. Whether you're a veteran Dardenne Prairie, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bike wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Dardenne Prairie, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case evaluation.
Dardenne Prairie, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Dardenne Prairie, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other damages. Our team of talented Dardenne Prairie, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Dardenne Prairie, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Dardenne Prairie, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Dardenne Prairie, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Dardenne Prairie, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Dardenne Prairie, MO. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Dardenne Prairie, MO?
Bike wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Dardenne Prairie, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Dardenne Prairie, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their careless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle crash is a stressful and surprising experience. However, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Dardenne Prairie, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the higher your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign blame in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Dardenne Prairie, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Dardenne Prairie, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Dardenne Prairie, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Dardenne Prairie, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.