Bike Wreck Lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Creve Coeur, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO. Bike crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Creve Coeur, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the outcome of a bike accidents can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.
Creve Coeur, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Creve Coeur, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the things to look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of talented Creve Coeur, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything possible to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Creve Coeur, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Creve Coeur, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Creve Coeur, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Creve Coeur, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Creve Coeur, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Creve Coeur, MO?
Bike crashes occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be the result of mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical defects, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Creve Coeur, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Creve Coeur, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a trying and unexpected experience. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Creve Coeur, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine blame in accidents, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Creve Coeur, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more significant injuries that require ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Creve Coeur, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the financial recovery you are owed may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Creve Coeur, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.