Bike Wreck Lawyer in Potosi, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Potosi, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Potosi, MO. Bicycle accidents are terrifying and life-altering. Whether you're a seasoned Potosi, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should be able to afford the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Potosi, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths just in 2020. Even though bike riding makes up only one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Potosi, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You need someone who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys usually work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Potosi, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of experienced Potosi, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike accident claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Potosi, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster get away with their lies. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Potosi, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Potosi, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand the basics of your case. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Potosi, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Potosi, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Potosi, MO?
Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Potosi, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity responsible for planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Potosi, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a trying and surprising occurrence. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Potosi, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to determine liability in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of anyone who saw your accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
FAQs About Potosi, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Potosi, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Potosi, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Potosi, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Potosi, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.