Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bonne Terre, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO. Bike wrecks are terrifying and devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Bonne Terre, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Bonne Terre, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Bonne Terre, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Bonne Terre, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of experienced Bonne Terre, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the experience and resources to perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Bonne Terre, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Bonne Terre, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Bonne Terre, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Bonne Terre, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Bonne Terre, MO clients. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Bonne Terre, MO?
Bike accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Bonne Terre, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a skilled Bonne Terre, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle wreck is a stressful and unexpected occurrence. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Bonne Terre, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign blame in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bonne Terre, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that need ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Bonne Terre, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Bonne Terre, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.