Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kingdom City, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Kingdom City, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Kingdom City, MO. Bike accidents are horrifying and life-altering. Whether you're a veteran Kingdom City, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the outcome of a bicycle crashes can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Kingdom City, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex injury claims process and receive the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Kingdom City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Kingdom City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise in these cases.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kingdom City, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Kingdom City, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Kingdom City, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Kingdom City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Kingdom City, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Kingdom City, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Kingdom City, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Kingdom City, MO?
Bike wrecks can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who we can hold responsible for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Kingdom City, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Kingdom City, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their careless behavior.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike crash is a trying and unanticipated experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in Kingdom City, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to assign blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kingdom City, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Kingdom City, MO, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we collect a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Kingdom City, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Kingdom City, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Kingdom City, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.