Bike Wreck Lawyer in Manchester, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Manchester, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Manchester, MO. Bicycle accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Manchester, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the aftermath of a bike wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Manchester, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should have access to the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation case review.
Manchester, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Manchester, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for reviews from past clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Manchester, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of experienced Manchester, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to perform a full investigation into your accident to come up with a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Manchester, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Manchester, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Manchester, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Manchester, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Manchester, MO clients. We have a proven track record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Manchester, MO?
Bicycle wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car colliding with a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Manchester, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire an experienced Manchester, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their reckless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike wreck is a difficult and unanticipated experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your chances of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Manchester, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Manchester, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Manchester, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more significant injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Manchester, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Manchester, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Manchester, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.