Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO. Bicycle crashes can be scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a seasoned Cape Girardeau, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and secure the financial recovery you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should be able to have the same high standard of legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Cape Girardeau, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Best Cape Girardeau, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of experienced Cape Girardeau, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike wreck claims. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Cape Girardeau, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Cape Girardeau, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Cape Girardeau, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know the status of your claim. Our Cape Girardeau, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Cape Girardeau, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Cape Girardeau, MO?
Bike accidents happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Cape Girardeau, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a skilled Cape Girardeau, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bicycle accident is a difficult and unanticipated experience. However, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in Cape Girardeau, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike wreck, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to assign liability in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Cape Girardeau, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the wreck resulted in more serious injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are entitled to. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Cape Girardeau, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on your level of fault. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Cape Girardeau, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.