Bike Wreck Lawyer in Granite City, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Granite City, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Granite City, IL. Bike accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Granite City, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike accidents can include horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Granite City, IL bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Granite City, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they lead to 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Granite City, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to take on your case, there are a few key things to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, attorneys often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Granite City, IL
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of knowledgeable Granite City, IL bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable attorney by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Granite City, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
How Our Granite City, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Granite City, IL can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on healing. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Granite City, IL firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the top-quality legal representation to our Granite City, IL clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Granite City, IL?
Bicycle crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Granite City, IL, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Granite City, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unexpected event. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Granite City, IL, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are taught how to determine blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Granite City, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Granite City, IL, you probably have some questions. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, we can close the case within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Granite City, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Granite City, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Granite City, IL. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.