Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hannibal, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hannibal, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Hannibal, MO. Bike accidents can be terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're a seasoned Hannibal, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle crashes can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about how to proceed. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Hannibal, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and get the compensation you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Hannibal, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Hannibal, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Look for reviews from past clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You want an attorney who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, attorneys often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hannibal, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Hannibal, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to avoid paying claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Hannibal, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
How Our Hannibal, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Hannibal, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will help us develop a sound legal strategy, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Hannibal, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Hannibal, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Hannibal, MO?
Bicycle accidents can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — Nearly all auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, especially at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Hannibal, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a skilled Hannibal, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle wreck is a stressful and surprising occurrence. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle wreck in Hannibal, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to determine blame in crashes, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hannibal, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Hannibal, MO, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more severe injuries that require ongoing medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal representation you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Hannibal, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Hannibal, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Hannibal, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.