Bike Wreck Lawyer in Quincy, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Quincy, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Quincy, MO. Bike crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a seasoned Quincy, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bicycle accidents can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about how to move forward. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Quincy, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Quincy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Quincy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Case
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Quincy, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Quincy, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike crash cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need an experienced lawyer on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Quincy, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and deliver just compensation.
What Our Quincy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Quincy, MO offer:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Quincy, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Quincy, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Quincy, MO?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, trash, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars are also prone to mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Quincy, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Quincy, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Accident
A bicycle accident is a trying and unexpected event. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Quincy, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to get checked out by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure you get the financial recovery you are owed. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
FAQs About Quincy, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Quincy, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck caused more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the outstanding legal advocacy you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent driver doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Quincy, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Quincy, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Quincy, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.