Bike Wreck Lawyer in Elsberry, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Elsberry, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Elsberry, MO. Bike crashes can be scary and life-changing. Whether you're a consistent Elsberry, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike accidents can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Elsberry, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't owe us a thing. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Elsberry, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Elsberry, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a solid reputation in the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Discover how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Elsberry, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of talented Elsberry, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build a successful legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Elsberry, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Elsberry, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Elsberry, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Case Evaluation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll go over your case with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Elsberry, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to our Elsberry, MO clients. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Elsberry, MO?
Bicycle accidents occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike wrecks can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Elsberry, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a talented Elsberry, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their careless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bike wreck is a stressful and surprising experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Elsberry, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine fault in crashes, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, you need to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A knowledgeable lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Elsberry, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Elsberry, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the accident resulted in more severe injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we collect a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the outstanding legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
The length of time it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Elsberry, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be reduced based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Elsberry, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Elsberry, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.