Bike Wreck Lawyer in Holts Summit, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Holts Summit, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Holts Summit, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be scary and life-shattering. Whether you're a seasoned Holts Summit, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bike wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and reputable Holts Summit, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that everyday people should have access to the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Holts Summit, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips across the country, they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
How to Find the Right Holts Summit, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer for Your Claim
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to consider. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer accepts payment. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Holts Summit, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you are justly compensated for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Holts Summit, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the expertise and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Holts Summit, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our Holts Summit, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Holts Summit, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who witnessed the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Holts Summit, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Holts Summit, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Holts Summit, MO?
Bicycle crashes can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — 98% of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, especially in the dark, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Holts Summit, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Holts Summit, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bike wreck is a difficult and surprising experience. However, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Holts Summit, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's essential to be seen by a medical professional within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. In addition, the higher your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike wreck, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to assign fault in crashes, and will mention how the other driver are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the contact info of any witnesses to your crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the legal system and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on healing.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Holts Summit, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Holts Summit, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more severe injuries that require a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the excellent legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Holts Summit, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Holts Summit, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Holts Summit, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.