Bike Wreck Lawyer in Clayton, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Clayton, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Clayton, MO. Bicycle accidents are always unanticipated, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Clayton, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle accidents can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and reputable Clayton, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that injury victims should have access to the same excellent legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Clayton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the number of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Clayton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, here are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Look for testimonials from past clients to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get once your claim is finished.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Clayton, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our group of knowledgeable Clayton, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike accident claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance adjusters mislead injury victims and try to minimize claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Clayton, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Clayton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Clayton, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to go through the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you, go over your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including your doctor, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Clayton, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to our Clayton, MO clients. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Clayton, MO?
Bike wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to see, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle accident – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Clayton, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Clayton, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bike crash is a difficult and unanticipated event. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bike wreck in Clayton, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a doctor within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine fault in crashes, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the wreck, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate the legal system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Clayton, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Clayton, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, especially if the wreck resulted in more severe injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we charge a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can change drastically depending on your specific accident and injuries. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Clayton, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Clayton, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in Clayton, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.