Bike Wreck Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Edwardsville, IL Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Edwardsville, IL. Bicycle crashes are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Edwardsville, IL cyclist or a casual rider, the repercussions of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are accumulating and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Edwardsville, IL bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that everyday people should be able to afford the same excellent legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Edwardsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike to stay active and fit, the number of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding makes up just one percent of trips across the country, they account for 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries in the U.S.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Edwardsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out testimonials from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do others speak highly of their strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who communicates well with their clients. You want someone who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer charges for their services. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get once you've been compensated.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Edwardsville, IL bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in all kinds of bike wreck cases. We have the expertise and resources to conduct a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney on their team to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Edwardsville, IL bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Edwardsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Edwardsville, IL offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also never let you feel like you don't know what's going on. Our Edwardsville, IL lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Edwardsville, IL. We have a demonstrated history of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Edwardsville, IL?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be caused by mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly at night, and that can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike accident – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Edwardsville, IL, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Edwardsville, IL bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle accident is a trying and surprising occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle crash in Edwardsville, IL, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical bills, the higher the financial recovery you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign fault in accidents, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the wreck, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can focus on your physical recovery.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Edwardsville, IL Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Edwardsville, IL, you probably have some questions. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident caused more serious injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, we can close the case within a month or two, while in others it may take many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Edwardsville, IL bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Edwardsville, IL. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.