Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chesterfield, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chesterfield, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Chesterfield, MO. Bicycle accidents can be terrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're a veteran Chesterfield, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can include serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of concerns about how to move forward. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need an experienced and trustworthy Chesterfield, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to afford the same high-quality legal representation that powerful insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation.
Chesterfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes more and more popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bike riding accounts for only one percent of trips in the U.S., they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike accidents, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Chesterfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a few important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and previous case law relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You need an attorney who will keep you informed about your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You need someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chesterfield, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other damages. Our group of talented Chesterfield, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are deserve. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Chesterfield, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Chesterfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Chesterfield, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand the legal aspects of your accident. We'll go over your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any lies the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other relevant parties, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus healing. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Chesterfield, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your injuries and losses. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our Chesterfield, MO clients. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Chesterfield, MO?
Bike wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car impacting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, trash, broken pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle wrecks can also be the result of mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can make cycling on the road more dangerous and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Chesterfield, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties responsible:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with designing, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a negligent job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing it to fail
One of the best reasons to hire a knowledgeable Chesterfield, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a difficult and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been involved in a bike accident in Chesterfield, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Treatment — If you are harmed in a bicycle wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the more expensive your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are taught how to determine blame in crashes, and will mention how the other driver caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the crash, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chesterfield, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Chesterfield, MO, you probably have a lot of doubts about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck caused more serious injuries that need a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you need. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Chesterfield, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you are mot prohibited from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be decreased based on your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would receive $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chesterfield, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Chesterfield, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.