Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | St. Louis, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis, MO. Bike crashes are scary and devastating. Whether you're a consistent St. Louis, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike every now and then, the repercussions of a bicycle accidents can leave you with serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of concerns about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right St. Louis, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and secure the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that the average person should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles to stay active and fit, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths just in 2020. Despite the fact that bicycle trips make up just one percent of trips in the United States, they account for 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look for:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for testimonials from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you informed about your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Discover how the lawyer charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You want an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why It's Important to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your St. Louis, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll help you understand your options and negotiate a fair settlement.
What Our St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in St. Louis, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand your situation a little better. We'll review your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will help us build a strong case on your behalf, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our St. Louis, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to our St. Louis, MO clients. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in St. Louis, MO?
Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions such as potholes, litter, broken pavement or poor construction can cause bicyclists and other motorists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be caused by mechanical defects, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in St. Louis, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity tasked with designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for the harm they've caused.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bike Wreck
A bike wreck is a trying and surprising occurrence. But, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate action, you can do wonders for your physical well-being as well as your financial recovery. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle crash in St. Louis, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bike crash, get medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's important to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be recorded. Additionally, the costlier your medical expenses, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Gather Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively boring post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About St. Louis, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in St. Louis, MO, you probably have some questions. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the accident caused more significant injuries that require a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a portion of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you need.
- How long will my case take to resolve?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident claim can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while in others it may take many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your St. Louis, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in St. Louis, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that helps victims of bike accidents in St. Louis, MO. Our attorneys are aggressive negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We have demonstrated history of success in securing large settlements and verdicts for the injured, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.