Bike Wreck Lawyer in Florissant, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Florissant, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Florissant, MO. Bike crashes can be scary and life-shattering. Whether you're a seasoned Florissant, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the outcome of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about how to proceed. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Florissant, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and receive the compensation you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that the average person should be able to afford the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. We don't win? You don't pay. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves the injured on both sides of the river. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Florissant, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to bicycles for exercise and recreation, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips nationwide, they lead to 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Florissant, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — Look for a lawyer who's handled your type of case before. They should know the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who is responsive and communicative. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers often accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Florissant, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team of knowledgeable Florissant, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance adjusters try to trick injury victims and try to devalue claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance companies need a knowledgeable lawyer on their team to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Florissant, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate just compensation.
What Our Florissant, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Florissant, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a sound legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Florissant, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Florissant, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Florissant, MO?
Bicycle crashes happen for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, litter, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be due to mechanical failures, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example braking or steering defects, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles are harder to spot, particularly in the dark, and that can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having dedicated bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the likelihood of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Florissant, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Florissant, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for the harm they've caused.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike accident is a stressful and surprising experience. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Florissant, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's important to be seen by a doctor in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. In addition, the costlier your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bicycle accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign liability in crashes, and will mention how the other parties caused your accident. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Obtain Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other relevant information.
- Collect Information — Collect the names and contact information of any witnesses to your accident, as well as the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't wait to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the litigation so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by a lawyer.
FAQs About Florissant, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Florissant, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the accident resulted in more serious injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we receive a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident claim can vary depending on your specific accident and injuries. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can make a claim through your own insurance, or your Florissant, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased based on how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Florissant, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Florissant, MO. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.