Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakville, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Oakville, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Oakville, MO. Bicycle crashes are always unexpected, and they can be devastating. Whether you're an experienced Oakville, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the outcome of a bicycle crashes can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of questions about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Oakville, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complex injury claims process and get the financial recovery you are owed. At Halvorsen Klote, we believe that those injured through another's negligence should be able to afford the same high-quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Oakville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also gone up. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding accounts for just one percent of trips across the country, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident fatalities. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists suffered injuries nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which resulted in 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which caused injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Oakville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience winning bike accident cases. They should know state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a feeling for how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire an attorney who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case for its duration.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your final payout – only after you've won. Others may charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakville, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by negligent drivers. If you have been involved in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of talented Oakville, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in numerous different types of bike accident cases. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to build an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney on their team to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Oakville, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and negotiate a fair settlement.
How Our Oakville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you were harmed in a bike crash because someone else broke the rules, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Oakville, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to go through the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll review your accident with you, discuss your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including gathering evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
- Communication — We will handle all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Oakville, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll be there for you whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair financial recovery for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge and jury to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are devoted to providing the highest level of legal representation to injury victims in Oakville, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Oakville, MO?
Bike wrecks occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to almost all auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Poor road conditions liked potholes, trash and environmental debris, cracked pavement or poor road design can cause bicyclists and other drivers to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle crashes can also be caused by mechanical defects, like brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical failures, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly in the dark, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike crash – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Oakville, MO, we may be able to hold the following parties accountable:
- A negligent driver
- A negligent bicyclist or pedestrian
- A construction company or government agency tasked with planning, building, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability suit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the best reasons to hire a talented Oakville, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bike Crash
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unanticipated occurrence. But, by staying calm and taking the right steps, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident in Oakville, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a physician in the following days to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, your injuries need to be documented. Additionally, the costlier your medical bills, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file your claim. Police are trained to assign liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, make sure to go to a local police station as soon as you can to make your report.
- Acquire Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the area around where the accident occurred. Write down what happened before forgetting key details, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, as well as the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you understand the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can focus on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
FAQs About Oakville, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Oakville, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Here are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you you have no legal obligation to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is highly recommended, particularly if the wreck caused more significant injuries that need a wide range of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we receive a percentage of your final compensation as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal representation you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to get you compensation for your bike accident case can vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Often, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years to reach a resolution.
- What if the other party doesn't have insurance?
If the person who hit you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Oakville, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be lowered relative to your level of fault. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Oakville, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Oakville, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are at home in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.