Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chamois, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Chamois, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Chamois, MO. Bike wrecks are scary and have severe consequences. Whether you're a veteran Chamois, MO cyclist or a casual rider, the aftermath of a bicycle wrecks can leave you with horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been involved in a bike accident, you need to find the right Chamois, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you understand the complicated legal system and secure the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same high-quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, we serve the injured in both Missouri and Illinois. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Chamois, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, pursuant to research from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicycle accident related deaths in 2020 alone. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up just one percent of trips in the U.S., they result in 2.3 percent of all traffic fatalities. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured nationwide.
According to research from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which resulted in injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Chamois, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several key things to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with state statutes and legal precedents relevant to the case.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out testimonials from past clients to get a feeling for their track record. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do they have a reputation for integrity?
- Communication — Choose an attorney who communicates well with their clients. You want a lawyer who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge under a different structure. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your accident. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chamois, MO
Bike accidents are often caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is essential to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our team of experienced Chamois, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike crash cases. We have the knowledge and resources to carry out a full investigation into your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies try to trick injury victims and try to minimize claims as much as possible. Injury victims who are inexperienced with the legal system and dealing with insurance adjusters need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Chamois, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Chamois, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Chamois, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to pay just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll discuss your accident with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you have peace of mind proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will help us develop a winning legal strategy, and fight back against any lies from the insurance adjuster. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will deal with all the communication with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including medical providers, on your behalf so that you can focus your physical recovery. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Chamois, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back whenever you need it.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the other party's insurance company to get a fair settlement for your economic and non-economic damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you get every penny you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of legal advocacy to injury victims in Chamois, MO. We have consistent record of success in bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Chamois, MO?
Bike accidents occur for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards liked potholes, trash and environmental debris, broken pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be due to mechanical failures, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars can also suffer mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or car.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly at night, and lack of visibility can make it harder for other drivers to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle crash – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the how your injuries occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Chamois, MO, liable parties may include:
- A negligent driver
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or seller in a product liability claim
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a car, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Chamois, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll look into every aspect of your case. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will reveal it and we will hold them accountable for their reckless actions.
What to Do if You’ve Been Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bike crash is a difficult and unanticipated event. However, by keeping a level head and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been involved in a bike wreck in Chamois, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Get Medical Attention — If you are harmed in a bike accident, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a healthcare provider within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need documentation of your injuries. In addition, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final compensation will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike accident, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police immediately after the crash, remember to go to a local police station as soon as you can to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the crash, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, location and any other details, even ones that don't seem important at the time.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw the accident, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to confirm your side of the story when they give their depositions.
- Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you were injured through no fault of your own, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure you get the financial recovery you deserve. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can focus on your physical recovery.
In the days and weeks following your accident, you should:
- Continue all recommended medical care. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional burdens you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Don't post on social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company before having your case evaluated by an attorney.
FAQs About Chamois, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're thinking about hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Chamois, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. The following are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash resulted in more severe injuries that require a lot of medical care. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. That means that instead of a fixed rate, we charge a percentage of your financial recovery as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the top-level legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
How long it takes to reach a settlement in your bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within a month or two, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other options for getting the compensation you deserve. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Chamois, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you were partially at fault for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, according to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Chamois, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Chamois, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.