Bike Wreck Lawyer in Valley Park, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Valley Park, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Valley Park, MO. Bicycle wrecks can be horrifying and have severe consequences. Whether you're an experienced Valley Park, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike occasionally, the repercussions of a bicycle accidents can include serious injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need a knowledgeable and trustworthy Valley Park, MO bicycle accident lawyer to help you navigate the complex legal system and receive the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that injury victims should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Valley Park, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As as more people turn to riding a bike for exercise and recreation, the number of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Despite the fact that bike riding makes up only one percent of trips nationwide, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists sustained injuries nationwide.
According to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, causing 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Valley Park, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do some investigating yourself to find a lawyer whose positive reputation precedes them. Check out reviews from injury victims they've served in the past to get a sense of how they treat their clients and work claims. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Choose a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the lawyer accepts payment. Some attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning their fees are a percentage of your compensation – only after you've won. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. A bike wreck lawyer's fee structure will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want someone who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Valley Park, MO
Bike accidents are usually caused by negligent drivers. If you were injured in a bike accident, you need to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of knowledgeable Valley Park, MO bike wreck lawyers has successfully represented clients in a variety of bike accident claims. We have the expertise and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have not had to deal with the claims process before need an experienced attorney by their side to handle their claim for them. At Holversen Klote, your Valley Park, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company deny their responsibility to compensate you. We'll guide you through the personal injury process and deliver just compensation.
What Our Valley Park, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Valley Park, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most people have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, they usually have a lot of questions. You don't need to spend money just to understand the basics of your case. We'll discuss your case with you, review your options and answer any questions you may have so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — Once you decide to hire us, we will conduct a full investigation into what caused your injuries and how, including acquiring evidence and speaking to witnesses. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also add up all of your damages to ascertain the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also keep you completely up-to-date on your claim. Our Valley Park, MO lawyers are client-centered, and we want you to feel comfortable with the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to answer any questions along the way.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the at-fault driver's insurance company to secure a fair financial recovery for your injuries and damages. Sometimes this is fairly quick, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company isn't close to offering what you deserve. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal advocacy to injury victims in Valley Park, MO. We have a demonstrated history of winning bike accident cases and are dedicated to helping our clients be fully compensated for their injuries.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Valley Park, MO?
Bike accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Negligent Drivers — The vast majority of auto accidents involve human error. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, debris, uneven pavement or poor road planning can cause cyclists to lose control of their bikes and potentially crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike accidents can also be the result of mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with the chain or pedals. Cars can also suffer mechanical defects, for example with brakes or steering, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the likelihood of accidents.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Valley Park, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A vehicle manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability lawsuit
- A mechanic who did a careless job repairing your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing a malfunction
One of the biggest benefits of hiring an experienced Valley Park, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone had a hand in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them accountable for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Crash
A bicycle crash is a difficult and unanticipated occurrence. But, by staying calm and taking appropriate steps, you can increase your odds of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle wreck in Valley Park, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Attention — If you are hurt in a bicycle accident, get medical treatment as soon as you can. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's important to get checked out by a physician within a week to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the more compensation you'll receive for your non-economic damages.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the scene of the accident. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are trained to determine blame in accidents, and will mention how the other parties are responsible for your accident. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your bike, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses to your wreck, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to corroborate your story when they give their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are injured in a bicycle accident, don't wait to call a personal injury lawyer. A skilled lawyer can help you understand the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all medical treatments that your doctor, physical therapist and/or chiropractor recommends. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also leave clear documentation of the full scope of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will be strong evidence for your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may make the insurance company think you aren't actually injured.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Valley Park, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Valley Park, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the crash resulted in more significant injuries that need a lot of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, rather than a hourly fee, we collect a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, you do not need to be rich to get the first-rate legal advocacy you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can change drastically depending on the circumstances of the case. In some cases, a settlement can be reached within a couple months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other driver doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Valley Park, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be reduced based on how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% at fault, you would get $85,000.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Valley Park, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Valley Park, MO. Our attorneys are talented negotiators and litigators who are not afraid to take your case to trial if they have to. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.