Bike Wreck Lawyer in Union, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Union, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Union, MO. Bicycle accidents are always a shock, and they can be devastating. Whether you're a consistent Union, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the outcome of a bicycle accidents can include horrible injuries, mounting medical bills and a lot of doubts about how to be compensated for your injuries. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Union, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the financial recovery you are legally entitled to. At Halvorsen Klote, we founded our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Based in the Greater St. Louis area, Halvorsen Klote serves injury victims on both sides of the river. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a consultation at no cost to you.
Union, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has steadily risen. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist fatalities just in 2020. Even though bicycle trips account only one percent of trips in the United States, they make up 2.3 percent of all traffic deaths. In 2019, an estimated 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 fatalities. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for to Find the Best Union, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to hiring the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are several important factors to consider. When searching for a lawyer for your bike accident, you should look at:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who's taken on and won your type of case before. They should know the unique legal issues that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find an attorney with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Check out reviews from injury victims they've helped in the past to get a sense of their track record. Have they ever been officially disciplined, or do they have a reputation for strong ethics?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who answers your calls, your calls back in a timely manner. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case from initial consultation all the through to the end.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney charges for their services. With personal injury, lawyers usually accept a contingency fee, meaning their fees are a portion of your compensation – only after you've won. Others may charge under a different structure. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much money you get at the end of the day.
- Location — Consider the lawyer's location in relation to your own. You want a lawyer who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
The Importance of Hiring a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Union, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who break the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of skilled Union, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in all kinds of bike crash claims. We have the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies mislead injury victims and will do anything they can to avoid having to pay you the money are are owed. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need a knowledgeable lawyer by their side to make the process simple and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Union, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance adjuster take advantage of you. We'll walk you through the personal injury process and deliver a fair settlement.
How Our Union, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Help You
If you have been injured in a bike accident, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Union, MO offer:
- Free Consultation — As most injury victims have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, we're often asked a lot of questions. You don't need to pay just to understand the legal aspects of your injury. We'll go over your accident with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable proceeding with the process.
- Investigation — If you decide to hire us, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including acquiring evidence and interviewing people who saw the accident. This will allow us to build a strong case on your behalf, and fight back against any misleading statements from the insurance adjuster. We'll also add up all of your damages to determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case, including your healthcare providers, on your behalf so that you can spend your energy on your physical recovery. We'll also keep an open line of communication with you. Our Union, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to feel good about the progress of our case, and feel like we're available to help whenever you need us.
- Negotiation — We will negotiate with the at-fault driver's insurance company to reach a fair settlement for your injuries and losses. Sometimes negotiation only takes a handful of back-and-forths, while other times we'll need to use alternative dispute resolution strategies like mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If they still refuse to give you what you're owed, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure you are fairly compensated for all of your damages.
- Compensation — We will work to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are committed to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Union, MO. We have consistent record of winning bike accident cases and are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Union, MO?
Bicycle wrecks can be the result of a variety of factors, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error is a contributing factor in the vast majority of auto accidents. Those errors can include:
- Car turning left in front of a bicyclist
- Car hitting a bicyclist at an intersection
- Car rear-ending a bicyclist
- Driver opening a door
- Car failing to yield
- Improper passing
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, trash and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bicycle accidents can also be caused by mechanical malfunctions, such as brake failure, tire blowouts or issues with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example braking or steering defects, that could cause them to hit a bicycle.
- Weather — Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and increase the risk of bicycle accidents.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, particularly when there's no sun or street lighting, and lack of visibility can make it harder for motorists to see bikes.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — Not having specific bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike in more dangerous places and increase the probability of crashes.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bike wreck – meaning who owes your compensation – depends on the how your accident occurred and why. Depending on specifics of your bike wreck in Union, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who caused the accident
- A construction company or government agency responsible for planning, building, repairing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or vendor in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest advantages of hiring a knowledgeable Union, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll leave no stone unturned. If someone contributed to your injuries, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their actions.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle wreck is a difficult and unexpected experience. But, by keeping a level head and taking the right action, you can increase your chances of healing and getting full compensation. If you’ve been hurt in a bike crash in Union, MO, there are several steps you should take:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are hurt in a bike wreck, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem severe, it's essential to be seen by a doctor within a week to ensure that you're 100% good to go. To make an injury claim, you need medical records. Additionally, the higher your medical bills, the more compensation you'll get for your pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Report the Accident — Call the police to the accident site. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file take legal action. Police are trained to assign blame in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, you need to go to a local police station in the following days to file your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the scene of the accident, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down details about what happened, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other relevant information.
- Gather Information — Collect the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's contact and insurance info. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If you are harmed in a bicycle accident, don't wait to contact a personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the claims system and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll handle all the legal aspects for you so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will help you heal as best as possible, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of the physical and emotional hardships you suffer because of your injuries. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Forget about social media – even a seemingly innocent post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Union, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're considering hiring a bike wreck lawyer in Union, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Do I really need a bike wreck lawyer?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, particularly if the wreck caused more serious injuries that require a wide range of treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and get you the compensation you deserve.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
We work on a contingency fee basis. Meaning, instead of a fixed rate, we charge a portion of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after we've won your case. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the first-rate legal advocacy you deserve.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident claim can change drastically depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Sometimes, a settlement can be reached within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the negligent motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the person who injured you is not insured, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer can help you explore other insurance coverages to get the compensation you need. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Union, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the wreck, you may still be able to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the amount of compensation you are owed may be lowered relative to how much blame you share. For example, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would receive $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Speak to a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Union, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
At Halvorsen Klote, we have a reputation for excellence in representing victims of bike accidents in Union, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if necessary. We have demonstrated history of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.