Bike Wreck Lawyer in Columbia, MO
Greater St. Louis and Southern Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Columbia, MO Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bike wreck lawyer in Columbia, MO. Bike accidents are scary and life-shattering. Whether you're a veteran Columbia, MO cyclist or only brush the cobwebs off your bike a few times a year, the outcome of a bike accidents can leave you with serious injuries, medical bills that are piling up and a lot of doubts about your legal rights. If you've been injured in a bike accident, you need to find the right Columbia, MO bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. At Halvorsen Klote, we began our practice on the principle that those injured through another's negligence should have access to the same excellent legal advocacy that powerful insurance companies have. That's why you don't owe us anything unless we when your case. Located in the Greater St. Louis area, on both sides of the river, we deliver. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Columbia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer: The Statistics
As cycling becomes increasingly popular, the rate of bicycle accidents has also been on the rise. In fact, pursuant to data from the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 938 bicyclist deaths in 2020 alone. Even though bicycle trips account just one percent of trips across the country, they result in 2.3 percent of all auto accident deaths. In 2019, approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in the U.S.
According to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium, there were 381 bicycle accidents in the state in 2021, which led to 316 injuries and 7 deaths. In Illinois in 2020, there were 2,180 bike crashes, 1,995 of which lead to injury and 28 of which were fatal, according to the 2020 Illinois Crash Facts & Statistics.
What to Look for in a Good Columbia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyer
When it comes to finding the right bike wreck lawyer for your case, there are a number of important factors to keep in mind. When looking for a lawyer for your bike accident, consider:
- Experience — You need a lawyer who has experience handling bike accident cases. They should be familiar with the unique challenges that can arise with your type of injury.
- Reputation — Do your research to find a lawyer with a sterling reputation among their clients and the legal community. Look for reviews from previous clients to get a sense of how they treat their clients and attack cases. Have they ever been disciplined by a state board, or do others speak highly of their integrity?
- Communication — Hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicative. You need someone who will keep you up-to-date on your case every step of the way.
- Fees — Find out how the attorney accepts payment. Some lawyers accept a contingency fee, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. However, sometimes they charge an hourly fee or a flat rate. How your bike wreck lawyer is paid will impact how much of your compensation you get to keep.
- Location — Consider where they typically practice law. You need an attorney who is familiar with the local laws and court system.
Why You Need to Hire a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Columbia, MO
Bike accidents are most commonly caused by drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road. If you have been involved in a bike accident, it is important to hire a bike wreck lawyer to protect your rights. Our group of experienced Columbia, MO bike wreck lawyers has has secured great financial recoveries for clients in a variety of bike accident claims. We have the experience and resources to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident to come up with an effective legal strategy.
Insurance companies lie to injury victims and try to devalue claims to the extent that they can. Injury victims who have never needed to make an injury claim before need an experienced attorney by their side to make the process easy and fair. At Holversen Klote, your Columbia, MO bike accident lawyer won't let the insurance company get away with their lies. We'll help you understand your options and deliver a fair settlement.
What Our Columbia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers Can Do For You
If you were harmed in a bike crash by someone else's negligence, our team of bike wreck lawyers in Columbia, MO can help you in the following ways:
- Free Consultation — As most of our clients have never had to deal with the personal injury process before, it's natural to have a lot of questions. You shouldn't have to spend money just to understand whether you have a valid claim or not. We'll go over your case with you and tell you how relevant laws affect your case so you feel comfortable moving forward.
- Investigation — If you decide to enlist our services, we will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident, including obtaining evidence and speaking to people who saw the accident. This will allow us to develop a winning legal strategy, and counter any misleading statements the insurance company tells you. We'll also fully calculate your damages to accurately determine the monetary value of your personal injury claim.
- Communication — We will communicate with insurance adjusters and other relevant parties, including medical providers, to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We'll also be 100% transparent with you. Our Columbia, MO firm is client-centered, and we want you to know that we'll have your back throughout the duration of your case.
- Negotiation — We will handle all the negotiations with the other party's insurance company to secure a fair settlement for your injuries and damages. Sometimes negotiation only takes a couple months, while sometimes we need to proceed to mediation if the insurance company won't be fair. If necessary, we will file a lawsuit and take your case to trial to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Compensation — We will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
At Halvorsen Klote, we are dedicated to providing the top-quality legal representation to injury victims in Columbia, MO. We have a proven track record of winning bike accident cases and are devoted to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
What Causes Bike Wrecks in Columbia, MO?
Bicycle crashes occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Negligent Drivers — human error contributes to 98% of auto accidents. Examples of driver negligence include:
- Road conditions — Road hazards such as potholes, litter and environmental debris, uneven pavement or poor construction can cause cyclists to crash.
- Mechanical failures — Bike crashes can also be due to mechanical malfunctions, like brake failure, tire blowouts or problems with other equipment. Cars are also susceptible to mechanical malfunctions, for example with brakes or steering, that cause bike wrecks.
- Weather — Poor weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can make roads slippery and make it harder to control a bike or other vehicle.
- Lack of visibility — Bicycles may be difficult to see, especially when there's no sun or street lighting, and that can increase the risk of accidents.
- Lack of Bicycle Infrastructure — A lack of dedicated bicycle infrastructure such as bike lanes or protected bike paths can force bicyclists to bike on the roads with larger vehicles and increase the probability of wrecks.
Who Is Liable for My Bike Wreck Injuries?
Liability for your bicycle wreck – meaning who we can hold accountable for your injuries – depends on the specifics of your case and what caused and contributed to your crash. Depending on circumstances of your bike wreck in Columbia, MO, liable parties may include:
- A driver who broke the rules of the road
- Another bicyclist or pedestrian who broke the rules of the road
- A construction company or government entity responsible for designing, constructing, fixing or maintaining a road
- A bicycle manufacturer or car manufacturer, distributor or dealer in a product liability case
- A mechanic who negligently worked on your bicycle or a different vehicle that caused that crash, causing it to fail
One of the biggest benefits of hiring a talented Columbia, MO bike wreck lawyer is that they'll investigate every aspect of your case. If someone played a part in the accident that injured you, our investigation will show that and we will hold them responsible for their careless behavior.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bicycle Wreck
A bicycle wreck is a stressful and unanticipated event. But, by staying calm and taking the right action, you can increase your odds of healing and being fairly compensated. If you’ve been involved in a bike crash in Columbia, MO, immediately afterwards you should do the following:
- Seek Medical Treatment — If you are injured in a bike crash, seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries don't seem significant, it's essential to get checked out by a medical professional in the following days to ensure that there are no underlying injuries. To file an injury claim, you need medical records. Furthermore, the more expensive your medical expenses, the higher your final payout will be.
- Report the Accident — If you are involved in a bike crash, report it to the police. This will create an official record of the accident, which will be useful later when you file a claim with the insurance company. Police are taught how to determine liability in accidents, and will include the other driver's negligence in their report. If you didn't call police to the scene of the accident, remember to go to a local police station in the following days to make your report.
- Gather Evidence — Take photos of the crash, including damage to your bike and any other vehicles involved, injuries and the surrounding area. Write down what happened while your memory's still fresh, including the date and time, weather conditions and any other details, even ones that don't seem important in the moment.
- Collect Information — Gather the contact info of anyone who saw your crash, in addition to the driver's name, contact information and insurance information. The witnesses will be able to verify your version of events during their depositions.
- Contact a Bike Wreck Lawyer — If a negligent driver injures you, don't hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer. A talented lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We'll take full control of your claim and negotiations so you can spend your energy on healing.
After consulting with an attorney:
- Continue all recommended medical treatment. This will ensure your physical recovery, and also clearly document the extent of your injuries.
- Keep a daily journal of how you're feeling and how your injuries have impacted your life. This will help verify your non-economic damages.
- Stay off social media – even a relatively uninteresting post may allow the insurance company to say your injuries aren't as severe as you say.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
Frequently Asked Questions About Columbia, MO Bike Wreck Lawyers
If you're looking for a bike wreck lawyer in Columbia, MO, you probably have a lot of concerns about the process. Below are some frequently asked questions about personal injury claims:
- Is a bike wreck lawyer necessary?
While you are not required to hire a lawyer after a bike accident, it is often in your best interest, especially if the crash caused more significant injuries that require ongoing treatment. A bike wreck lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system, negotiate with insurance companies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- How much does a bike wreck lawyer cost?
Halvorsen Klote works on a contingency fee basis. That means that rather than a hourly fee, we charge a percentage of your final payout as our attorneys' fees, but only after you've been paid. With a contingency fee arrangement, money is never a barrier to getting the excellent legal representation you need.
- How long before I get my settlement?
The length of time it takes to resolve a bike accident case can vary depending on the extent of your injuries and how clear liability is. Often, we can close the case within two months, while other cases may require many more months or even years before the insurance company agrees to pay you what is fair.
- What if the other motorist doesn't have insurance?
If the other party involved in your bike accident does not have insurance, it can make it more difficult to recover compensation. However, a bike wreck lawyer will look for other options for getting the compensation you are owed. You can file a claim through your own insurance, or your Columbia, MO bike wreck lawyer may be able to find other liable parties.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident?
Even if you bear some responsibility for the crash, you are mot barred from receiving compensation. However, the amount of compensation you are entitled to may be decreased relative to how much blame you share. For instance, if your damages were $100,000 but you were 15% to blame, you would get $85,000.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.765, injury victims in Missouri can still recover compensation even if they are 99% to blame (you would receive 1% of your damages. But, in Illinois, under 735 ILCS 5/2-1116, you cannot receive compensation if you share more than 50% of the blame (if the accident is mostly your fault).
Call a Bike Wreck Lawyer in Columbia, MO Today | Halvorsen Klote
Halvorsen Klote is a reputed and experienced injury law firm that serves victims of bike accidents in Columbia, MO. Our attorneys are tenacious negotiators and litigators who are comfortable in front of a judge and jury if they have to. We have a proven track record of winning claims for our clients, and we are committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to every client we serve. Speak to an attorney today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online to discuss your case for free.